Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Hong Kong (and Macau) Marathon



our famed shutterbug yas posing outside our apartment in sai yeung choi st. s



THE KIDS GOOFING AROUND

OUR HUMBLE ABODE IN SAI YEUNG CHOI ST. S

My second time in HK gave me the chill. Literally. I was down with the flu for the first time this year. Our repertoire of events took the toll on me physically due to weariness, stress and sleeping at unimmaculate hours (I was up doing laundry until as the machine takes too long swirls ;). Kapagal (Too tiring). Sobra (Super). This is the only time I really felt too exhausted after a trip. Our first night in HK was spent roaming around the Mong Kok Sai Yeung Choi area, as we can’t find our apartment. Lucky for us that the local sales ladies assisted to call our host. When we finally got to our building, we had to take the full flight of stairs to the seventh floor as there is no lift. Good thing the unit compensated for the lack of it as it perceived to be spotless and complete with amenities > high-speed wi-fi, cable tv, and limitless phone calls. Plus we have our own kitchenette where the guys were able to cook Filipino caldereta and rice. The only decent meal we have had, except may be for Man Wa resto near our place where we had some take out. We tried McDonald’s, KFC, still nothing satisfied our taste buds, except for good ol’ Starbucks with its minty latte. Plus, Hong Kong is pricey. Their MTR to Central Station costs me HK$ 11.00, EVERY TIME! Though I got real deals from H & M at the Central, which happened only during the time Noel had to cure his motion sickness from our travel to the Peak. It’s like we took a trip to Baguio in less than two hours in hurried pace to sip our Starbucks orders and clicks. But then, we went out giggling and happy. We felt we were given our fair share of shopping. Just imagine nung ali pa (just imagine if were not). Am sure we will feel antagonistic and short changed, Ha Ha. Lucky for five of us however, we were able to take the short ferry trip to Macau, and see what new there else to be seen. Taking advantage of the free shuttle buses to Cotai strip, we hopped to Neverland. Macau to me, seemed to be still very much the same except for the new gaming establishments. The fare on any routes about the center is still three and twenty patacas. Subsequently, the food again, is remarkably expensive. Lunching on basmati rice and curry chicken costs me ninety patacas (translate that to peso will amount to around five hundred forty pesos), oh men, kamal, so expensive!

Oh, the marathon route? If routes could kill, this one will, with hard-pressed time limits for every turn around. I am one of the DNFs (Did Not Finished)-lame participants.((; No Worries. I am a certified full marathoner already.((; I basked my time. The Medical Team of the Standard Chartered (who captured me at twenty-five kilometers fairly consoled and/or bribed me with the chocolates, pears and bananas I could eat should I give in to the bus ride to the Finish) were all gently convincing and paternal. To which I swiftly said, “Oh, OK,” and boarded the bus. The freebies made it a one, worthy, and happy ride, any way. Laughably though that after five kilometers, I saw my very own bestie, adamantly refusing to board the other bus, vehemently pointing to her watch only to change her mind and succumbed to the organizer’s request. Apakayli nakung Bebang!;D One girl toughie!;D  

But after all the skips and bounds, Team Clark once again made the journey filled with happy thoughts again.((; with new PRs (personal records) for the members and a fulfilling full marathon moment for La Greta. My Big, Fat Congratulations! Oh, that extends to the Clarkies.((; Many thanks for cheering me on!((; 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

-----Original Message-----
From: nayoon [mailto:oncoke@naver.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:23 PM
To: Eugene L. Paras
Subject: RE: www.eugene-paras.blogspot.com

Hi Eugene!

You look very happy in your blog with healty food and life. I'm not really blogger person, however, I signed up, I will stop by and check out new things. Sometime later, introduce me to your team when I come back from Korea, it looks so much fun in there. Take care~ *^^*( y will get used to korean style emoticon hee hee)

Happy Feet By Eugene said...

Our pleasure, Missy Grace! Swim you soon!;D Have fun on your vacation!